The Discovery Class members are a mixture of married couples, singles, parents of young children, and non-parents. While some of the people in the class grew up in the church, a lot did not but have found the center of their church home to be the Discovery Class. Most class members are in their 30s or 40s.
A sampling of the activities we have throughout the year:
- CARITAS – we choose a night to bring a serve dinner to the guests who stay at our church twice a year (homeless shelter program)
- Freedom House – we bring and serve dinner to the residents of Freedom House (this program was closing but may be reopening and if not, we’ll find another place to do something similar)
- Sponsoring a family in need for Christmas
- Preparing a box of food for Thanksgiving for a family in need
- Collecting school supplies for a child in need
- Preparing and serving snacks for the ESL program at Second Baptist Church
- Other one-time missions projects that our class members are interested in and we do as a group
- We go out to lunch after church as a class about once a month
- Super Bowl party at a class member’s house
- Ladies’ Night Out (or In) – about once a month
- Easter Brunch (at church)
- Summer cookouts at class member’s house
- Pumpkin carving party
- And probably the class favorite – annual progressive dinner & White Elephant gift exchange in December
- Other social events as planned – we try to do something at least once a month, and we try to do a combination of family-friend and adults-only events
Pastoral Care/Social Support:
We also make a point to serve and care for each other, celebrating joyous events, and supporting each other in difficult times. For example, we always bring meals to parents of new babies, take meals to a class member who has surgery, throw baby showers/bridal showers, and otherwise care for our friends as appropriate when difficult situations arise, either on a individual, small group, or large group basis.
In short, it’s a great place to be, and to make lifelong friends who will support your spiritual and mission-focused growth, and just generally help you have more fun in this life.